Friday 8 February 2013

Minor rant... My life... etc.

I think that school expects too much of us sometimes.

 I'm in year 10, which means the start of wonderful GCSE's. Fine. I had prepared myself for this. I didn't pick to do Geography, Music, Drama and PE expecting for it to be a 'walk in the park'. The problem I'm facing, is meeting expectations. This includes:

  • Reaching target grades (for the end of Year 11) within a month or so
  • Completing coursework and homework within deadlines along with revison for practically every subject
  • Getting the time for a 'good night's sleep' every day therefore not resembling some kind of zombie in the morning
  • Participating in extra events, activities, trips... (most of which just include a hundred-and-one college prospectus' being shoved in my face)
  • Knowing my future career, having an idea of what further education I'll be doing after school, etc.
  • Work with others in a lesson where teachers will attempt to put us into 'groups', when you can't stand any of them
  • Stand in a canteen queue without being harassed by year 9's...
  • Being absolutely fine about facing an early Maths exam
I could go on forever, but you get the point. 

Another thing I can't stand, but I suppose I'm getting used to now, is being in a class with a teacher who is focussing their attention entirely on the 'disruptive ones'. Fair enough, they need to be disciplined, but to be honest, shouldn't you be looking more at the students who actually stand a chance of getting decent grades? I could go a whole lesson in need of speaking to the teacher, to explain the task more thoroughly, or even just read through what I've written so far. But it's impossible. And another thing- those annoying so and so's who aren't engaging in the lesson at all think it's suddenly 'pathetic' when a teacher goes to help a student who 'already knows what they're doing' therefore 'doesn't need any help'. Um, excuse me, but to achieve the grades I'm expected of, some support would be nice!

So that's how things are going for me at the moment.




No comments:

Post a Comment